Cycling is one of the easiest ways to stay fit, and the list of health benefits is endless. Here are a few:
- Cycling regularly will improve your fitness, health and quality of life and has been shown to extend your lifespan - on average cyclists live two years longer than non-cyclists.
- Regular cyclists enjoy a fitness level equal to that of a person ten years younger.
- Health professionals recommend we all need about 30 minutes activity a day to keep healthy - about 5 miles of cycling.
- Three quarters of all personal journeys are less than 5 miles long.
- This makes cycling an easy way to incorporate 30 mins exercise into your daily life, especially if you don't have the time for the gym. Simply replace those short car journeys or your journey to work with cycling. Cycling is often faster across town than driving.
- Its also worth remembering that cyclists breathe in less pollution from traffic than car drivers.
- If one third of all short car journeys were made by bike, national heart disease rates would fall by between 5 and 10 percent.
- Cycling at least twenty miles a week reduces the risk of heart disease to less than half that for non-cyclists who take no other exercise.
- Cycling not only wakes you up in the morning and gets you fit, it also helps you lose weight and reduce stress.
- Not only stress, but anxiety and depression are also alleviated by cycling.
- For those new to exercise, or starting again after a long break, cycling is a comfortable and easy form of physical activity enabling you to get fit and healthy safely without undue strain.
- Cycling is also much cheaper than gym membership, and a lot more fun.
- Cycling can also help you to maintain a healthy weight - no need to spend money on expensive diets!
Cycling is a win-win situation for everyone. What's more, there's no need to worry about fitting your new healthy and active lifestyle into a busy schedule as it can form part of your daily routine. Simply replace a journey to work or a trip to the shops with a cycle ride. What are you waiting for? Go cycle!